SCHOLARSHIPS FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS, PhD STUDENTS, UNIVERSITY TEACHERS AND RESEARCHERS
Establishment of the National Scholarship Programme for the Support of Mobility of Students, PhD Students, University Teachers, Researchers and Artists was approved by the Government of the Slovak Republic in 2005. The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic is funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic.
The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic supports mobility of foreign students, PhD students, university teachers, researchers and artists to stay at Slovak universities and research organisations.
The following individuals can apply for a scholarship in the framework of the National Scholarship Programme:
A) university students whose second level of higher education is taking place at a foreign university and who are invited by a public, private or state university in the Slovak Republic to an academic mobility for a purpose of study in the Slovak Republic
- scholarship period 1 to 2 semesters;
B) PhD students whose higher education or research preparation is taking place at a foreign university or research organisation and who are invited by a public, private or state university or research organisation eligible to carry out PhD study programmes in the Slovak Republic to an academic mobility for a purpose of study or research in the Slovak Republic
- scholarship period 1 to 12 months;
C) university teachers from foreign universities who are invited by a public, private or state university in the Slovak Republic to a lecture / research / artistic stay in the Slovak Republic
- scholarship period 1 to 12 months;
D) researchers or artists who are invited by a public, private or state university, research organisation eligible to carry out PhD study programmes or non-governmental organisation in the Slovak Republic to a lecture / research / artistic stay in the Slovak Republic
- scholarship period 1 to 12 months.
Citizens of the following countries can apply for a scholarship:
a) the Member States of the European Union;
b) other countries participating in the Bologna Process (listed are only non-EU Member States ) – Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Republic of Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Russian Federation, Serbia (including Kosovo), Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine;
d) Canada, Mexico, USA, countries of Latin and Central America;
e) Australia, China (including Taiwan), Egypt, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Republic of South Africa, Thailand, Vietnam.
The National Scholarship Programme does not support:
a) foreign university students and PhD students intending to enrol or accepted for entire Master or PhD studies in Slovakia, or those who are already studying in Slovakia and would like to cover a part of their costs by the National Scholarship Programme;
b) foreign university teachers and researches who are already teaching or doing research at Slovak universities and research organisations;
c) citizens of the Slovak Republic studying, teaching or doing research at foreign universities or research organisations;
d) foreign applicants accepted for other scholarship programmes in Slovakia (for example Visegrad Fund, Erasmus, CEEPUS, bilateral agreements, etc.).
Individuals with permanent residence in the Slovak Republic can not apply for a scholarship in the framework of the National Scholarship Programme for the support of mobility for applicants from abroad.
Scholarship and scholarship stay
The scholarship shall cover scholarship holders living costs (accommodation, boarding, etc.) during his/her study, research, lecture or artistic stay at Slovak universities, research or non-governmental organisations. Scholarship holders can ask their host institution in Slovakia to assist them to arrange their accommodation and necessary documents regarding their scholarship stay in Slovakia, or they have to arrange them by themselves. The National Scholarship Programme does not cover any travel costs to and from Slovakia.
Amount of a monthly scholarship
Change of the monthly scholarship amount valid from the call for applications with the application deadline 30.04.2013!
a) university student of 2nd level of higher education
b) PhD student
c) university teacher/researcher/artist without PhD degree (or its equivalent) and less than 4 years of experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist
d) university teacher/researcher/artist:
1 000 €
- To determine the monthly scholarship amount, only work experience until the deadline of the call for applications is taken into consideration.
- Time spent as a PhD student is considered as a professional experience.
Scholarship holders from outside the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland, whose scholarship stay lasts longer than 3 months, are obliged to submit the confirmation on not suffering illness constituting a threat to the public health to the Foreign police office in the Slovak Republic within 30 days of award of the temporary residence permit. Expenses related to the health check and the issue of this confirmation will be refunded to you after submitting the original hard copy of the confirmation on payment issued by competent medical institution. The expenses will be refunded up to 250€. List of these medical institutions is available at the respective Foreign police office of the Slovak Republic. Scholarship holder is obliged to submit the confirmation on payment within 30 days from the beginning of his/her stay, otherwise the scholarship holder shall loose his/her right for the refunding of the expenses.
Scholarship application forms are submitted on-line on www.scholarships.sk. The on-line application system opens not later than 6 weeks before the deadline. The application form can be filled out only after the on-line application system has been opened.
In order to submit the on-line application, it is necessary to fill out the on-line application form (in Slovak, English, French, Spanish or Russian version), attach all required documents in requested formats and press the "submit" button. Original hard copies of documents marked with asterisk (*) shall be delivered to SAIA, Bratislava before the deadline at the following address:
SAIA, n. o., │Námestie slobody 23 │ 812 20 Bratislava 1 │ Slovakia
Original hard copy of an Admission or Invitation Letter from a Slovak university or research organisation can be sent by the host institution in Slovakia directly to SAIA, Bratislava.
Foreign applicants who need to apply for entrance visa to Slovakia or for temporary residence are recommended to take into account the necessary visa/residence processing period when planning the starting date of their scholarship stay. Information about visa conditions is provided by Slovak Embassies abroad.
- 30 April by 16:00 CET – scholarship stays for the next academic year
- 31 October by16:00 CET – scholarship stays for the summer semester of the running academic year
If a deadline falls on Saturday or Sunday, the on-line application has to be submitted within the given deadline. The original hard copies of requiered documents shall be delived to SAIA, n.o., not later than the next working day after the deadline, by 12:00 CET.
List of required documents that shall be attached to the on-line application form by foreign university students and PhD students applying for a study/research stay (category of eligible applicants A and B):
- Curriculum Vitae,
- motivation letter,
- detailed study programme in case of students (including the date of arrival and period of stay),
- detailed research programme in case of PhD students (including the date of arrival, period of stay and detailed programme time schedule),
- two recommendation letters provided by applicant’s university teachers in case of students, one recommendation letter provided by applicant’s thesis supervisor in case of PhD Students,
- confirmation letter from a sending university certifying that applicant is a full-time student enrolled in min. 6th semester, in case of a PhD students a confirmation certifying enrolment in a PhD study (*),
- copy of a Bachelor’s diploma or Master’s diploma and a certificate of a state exam (if any),
- PhD Students - list of publications,
- Admission/Invitation Letter from a host university or research organisation in Slovakia proclaiming commitment that the applicant will be enrolled in a study or research programme (incl. exact period of stay). The Admission/Invitation Letter shall be printed on the official letter head paper of the host institution, including a signature of the person who has issued the Admission/Invitation Letter and a stamp. (*)
List of required documents that must be attached to the on-line application form by foreign university teachers, researchers or artists (category of eligible applicants C and D):
- Curriculum Vitae,
- detailed teaching and/or research programme (including date of arrival, period of stay and detailed programme time schedule),
- copy of a diploma with highest degree achieved,
- list of publications,
- Invitation Letter from a host university or research organisation in Slovakia (incl. the period of stay). The Invitation Letter shall be printed on the official letter head paper of the host institution, including a signature of the person who has issued the Admission/Invitation Letter and a stamp. (*)
(*) The documents marked with asterisk (original hard copies) shall be delivered to SAIA, Bratislava, before the application deadline.
Selection procedure of foreign applicants
Selection of scholarship holders is carried out by the Selection Committee appointed by the Minister of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic. Selection Committee takes its decision based on the documents submitted by applicants. The main focus is put on:
- reasoning why the applicant has decided to study/lecture/conduct research at the chosen university, research or non-governmental organisation;
- detailed study/lecturing/research programme and use of its results for the future study or research;
- professional and personal qualities of the applicant;
- study or research achievements;
- attitude of the host institution presented in the Admission/Invitation Letter;
- overall quality of the submitted application.
SAIA, n. o., will send a notification of granting or refusing a scholarship to all scholarship applicants usually within 8 weeks after the application deadline. SAIA, n. o., will issue and send to all approved scholarship holders a Letter of Award, Letter of Acceptance (confirmation on accepting the scholarship) and other relevant information.
Lukáš MARCIN, programme administrator
SAIA, n. o.
Námestie slobody 23
812 20 Bratislava 1
Last modified: 2013-03-14